this exhibit has ended
(super)heroes was curated by Sam Barzilay, Director of United Photo Industries, as part of the NYC Department of Transportation’s Urban Art Program. It featured artists from all over the world who approached the subject of superheroes as an allegory for a deeper exploration of a social issue, whether it be the innate desire of humanity to believe in powers greater than ourselves, gender roles and stereotypes or our dreams and aspirations as we transition from childhood to adulthood.
We were super excited about the exhibit, and about having some eye candy around Anchorage Place. Plus, the grand reveal coincided perfectly with DUMBO’s final Beer Thursday under The Archway.
(super)heroes was on display until the end of the 2013. Artists featured in the exhibit were:
- Alex Gross - "Cabinet Card Paintings"
- Astrid Verhoef - "Clark Kent"
- David Graham - "Superman"
- Dulce Pinzon - "The Real Story of the Superheroes"
- Gregg Segal - "Super Heroes at Home"
- Maleonn - "Works"
- Nicolas Silberfaden - "Impersonators"
- Susanne Middelberg - "Wonderwoman"
- Walter Iraheta - "Kryptonita"
Presented in collaboration with the NYC Department of Transportation's Urban Art Program. Dumbo BID's coverage can be found here.