- NYC Department of Small Business Services. The Department of Small Business Services (SBS) helps unlock economic potential and create economic security for all New Yorkers by connecting New Yorkers to good jobs, creating stronger businesses, and building a fairer economy in neighborhoods across the five boroughs.
- NYC Business Solutions. NYC Business Solutions is at the forefront of SBS's effort to provide direct assistance to business owners throughout the five boroughs. They will work with you if you have a new business or if you have been in business for years. They can answer your questions, help you develop a business plan, secure financing, and access City benefits. They will support your expansion by working with you to locate available space, identify money-saving incentive programs, access procurement opportunities, and recruit qualified employees.
- Business Acceleration. This is a service of the City of New York for food and beverage, industrial and retail businesses that can help you: Open or expand more easily and faster; Operate more smoothly and with few challenges; Recover from disasters
- Small Business Support. More resources for your current or new business in NYC.
- Workforce1. Workforce1 is a service provided by the NYC Department of Small Business Services that prepares and connects qualified candidates to job opportunities in New York City.
- Department of Consumer Affairs. Need a sidewalk cafe license? Have a concern about a business practice? DCA licenses over 80,000 businesses across 55 categories in NYC.
Nuts and Bolts
Opening a business? Want to know who your government representatives are? This is your one stop shop.
Business and Consumer Resources
Elected Officials and Community Board Resources
- 84th Precinct. NYPD precinct serving DUMBO and surrounding areas. The 84th Precinct Community Council meets on the third Tuesday of each month.
- Community Board 2. Your local community board is responsible principally for local review of land use and other applications, budget allocations and municipal service delivery. Check their calendar for updates on local hearings and committee meetings.
- 33rd Council District, Councilmember Steve Levin.
- Brooklyn Borough President, Eric Adams.
- State Senator for District 26, Brian Kavanaugh.
- State Assemblywoman for the 52nd Assembly District, Jo Ann Simon.
- US Congresswoman for the 7th District, Nydia Velazquez.
- US Senator, Charles Schumer.
Imagine Early Learning Center (85 Adams Street)
PS 307 (209 York Street)
PS 8 (37 Hicks Street)
PS 307 (209 York Street)
The Dock Street School for STEAM Studies
Use the NYC Department of Education's website to find high schools nearby.
E- WASTE RECYCLING
The Dumbo Improvement District holds an e-waste recycling event in partnership with the Lower East Side Ecology Center. This is held in the Pearl Street Triangle in early May. Check our events page for updates. Busted electronics turning Frankenstein on you? You can drop things off to their Gowanus Warehouse year round.
Hazardous waste disposal
The NYC Dept of Sanitation hosts SAFE Disposal Events (Solvents, Automotive, Flammables, and Electronics) throughout the year in all five boroughs to give residents a location to drop off their harmful household products safely. Check out their website for upcoming events..