What to Do on Thursday 11/1
DUMBO: Please be advised that the neighborhood is still very much in the recovery process and will be for a good while. Please keep us informed on any damage to your property by emailing Sandy@dumbonyc.org.
And please consider making a donation to help DUMBO’s restaurants, shops and venues – including Governor, One Girl Cookie, 66 Water Street, Almondine, powerHouse Books, Punto Bianco, Smack Mellon and more – who have suffered hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage from Hurricane Sandy clean up and rebuild.
If you are a major fan of Galapagos and want to target your dollars there, you can also contribute to the Small Knot fund launched by Swiss-Miss, host of Creative Mornings at Galapagos by clicking here. It’s awesome to see such an outpouring (at press time, they’ve raised $3300).
If you are in the neighborhood and without power, water and/or internet, you can:
- Take a shower and charge your devices at Gleason’s Gym at 77 Front Street
- Charge your phone via a BioLite stove at Brooklyn Roasting Company at 25 Jay Street from 12:00-1:30PM.
- Use the DUMBO BID’s FREE wifi under The Archway
School is closed for the rest of the week, and if you’re kids are climbing the walls – Pomme is hosting open play today from 11AM-3PM.
The First Thursday Gallery Walk that was scheduled for this evening is canceled.
If you’d like to see some neighbors and visit:
- Gran Electrica has a special menu for their Day of the Dead Party tonight beginning at 6PM.
- West Elm Market is hosting a community get-together at 50 Washington Street with refreshments starting at 6:30PM.
If you can’t get back to DUMBO but would like to help with clean-up, you can sign-up to volunteer anywhere in New York City by clicking this link.
Here’s the latest on office buildings:
- 45 Main – Open – but limited services
- 55 Washington – Open – but limited services
- 20 Jay St – Open – but limited services, no water
- 68 Jay St – Open
- 155 Water St (Green Desk) – Open and accepting temporary workers!
- 10 Jay St – Closed – building is dry but without power
The DUMBO Improvement District is currently in the process of locating spaces in the buildings that are up and running for companies who are currently displaced to utilize. Many companies are already doing this for both DUMBO neighbors. Green Desk is taking folks in. DUMBO Startup Lab will host 8 through Friday, email email@example.com. Small Planet also has a few desks, email firstname.lastname@example.org. And, Borough President Marty Markowitz is offering space to 24 displaced DUMBOnians at Borough Hall (seats, power and wifi included!) for the next two weeks. To book, reach out to email@example.com. Short-term “swing: office space at the Brooklyn Army Terminal is available free of charge for the next 30 days. NYCEDC has approximately 40,000 square feet of warehouse space at the Terminal that can be used for this purpose. Please click this link to contact an NYC Business Solutions Account Manager or call 311 and ask for NYC Business Solutions. Please tweet to @DUMBOBID if you have space with #sandycoworking.
Many of the businesses and restaurants that are operational have been so generous to share their wifi passwords and outlets – if you’re working remotely, be kind and purchase something while you work! We’ve also learned that you make lots of friends when you travel with power strip – more plugs for everyone!
Photo of powerHouse via Artinfo.