Locals are Taking SXSW by Storm This Year
Heading to SXSW this year? Be sure to say hello to the many, many DUMBO folks speaking and attending. Below, a list of SXSW Interactive talks by DUMBO's finest, slated to share their thoughts on topics ranging from foodies to social media:
- Josh Clark, Global Moxie: "Teaching Touch: Tapworthy Touchscreen Design" March 9th/ 3:30 - 4:30pm/ Austin Convention Center
- Chad Dickerson, CEO at Etsy: "(Not Just) S&!t Start-ups Say: Anatomy of a Rockstar Product Cycle" March 10th/ 11 - 12pm/ Hilton Austin Downtown
- Maria Popova, Brain Pickings: "The Curators and the Curated" March 10th/ 3:30 - 4:30pm/ Sheraton Austin
- Brian Schechter, Co-Founder of HowAboutWe.com: "Consumer Patterns Revealed by Dating Site Insiders" March 11th/ 9:30 - 10:30am/ InterContinental Steven F. Austin
- David Crofton, Co-Owner at One Girl Cookies: "The Rise of the Brooklyn Food Scene" March 11th/ 11 - 12pm/ Driskill Hotel
- Charlie O'Donnell, Brooklyn Bridge Ventures will be a judge at the "Interactive Accelerator" at the Start-up Village March 12th/ Doors at 10:30am/ Austin Hilton Downtown
- Aaron Shapiro, CEO at HUGE: "What Large Companies Can Learn From Startups" March 12th/ 3:30 - 3:50pm/ Austin Convention Center
- Angeline Vuong, Product Strategist at HUGE: "Your Social Media Job Is Dead: Now What?" March 13th/ 3:30 - 4:30pm/ Courtyard Marriott
- Peter Wolfgang, Engagement Director and Virginia Alber-Glanstaetten, Planning Director at HUGE: "Taking Your Brand Back From Your Customers" March 13th/ 5 - 6pm/ InterContinental Steven F. Austin
HowAboutWe.com's Brian Schechter describes his panel of online dating site experts as, "A meeting of the minds behind today's online dating sites, and I'm going to be discussing just what it is about HowAboutWe.com that makes it so attractive to people looking for a new way to find love. The short answer? People are excited to meet new people and go on actual dates. HowAboutWe.com's approach to online dating is totally in-line with what today's singles expect from technology -- simple, easy and effective. We get that chemistry happens offline." Brian is also looking forward to soaking up some inspiration while he's down there too, "I can't wait to get down to Austin and be inspired by so many awesome people, thinking, creating and sharing ideas. And the food's great, too"
HUGE CEO Aaron Shapiro will be heading down with a crew, "We've been sending people to SXSW for years now – in fact, for the last two years I think about 40 of us have gone down, but this will actually be my first time going. I'll be giving a talk about Users, not Customers and there are several other people from HUGE who are presenting as well."
And on the music side of things, DUMBO's Tunecore will be providing live distribution for albums and singles while in Austin. Anyone who shows up with their demo, new single/album, live recordings, etc will receive 25% of their first year of distribution for one single or one album. See them at Beale Street Tavern on the 15th and Driskill Bar on the 16th and 17th. Click here for more details.
So if you're making it down to Austin this week, be sure to stop by and say hi to some of your awesome DUMBO neighbors.
And for those going, Gothamist was nice enough to put together a handy guide for New Yorkers heading to SXSW.
Photo via screengrab from SXSW: The World Comes to Austin