Gothamist: 100 Reasons Why Brooklyn Lives Up To The Hype
This summer, DUMBO-based Gothamist published the post “100 Reasons Why Brooklyn Lives Up To The Hype” -- and naturally, DUMBO dominated the list - starting with #1 and many items following. The whole 100 can be found here - but scroll for the DUMBO selections below.
1. The Brooklyn Bridge: “Sure, it may connect Manhattan and Brooklyn, but it’s named after Brooklyn, so that’s the borough to which it belongs.”
14. Brooklyn Bridge Park: “Aside from The High Line, the most spectacular and stunning addition to the city’s Park system in recent memory is the series of green gems of the Brooklyn Waterfront.”
28. Ferries (ferry stop at Pier 1, Brooklyn Bridge Park/DUMBO): “East River Ferry service has been restored to whisk you away to Manhattan, Governors Island, or—even better—points south and north in Brooklyn.”
59. Free Valet Parking: “The cycling boom does create complications: when everyone rides their bike to the same place, sometimes there’s literally no suitable spot to lock up. Enter Transportation Alternatives, which for several years now has been offering free valet bike parking at some of Brooklyn’s hottest events” including Movies with a View in Brooklyn Bridge Park.
72. Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory (Old Fulton and Water Street): “The rich, creamy, delicious small batch ice cream…is arguably the best in the City. (One of the) locations operates out of a landmark fireboat house on the Fulton Ferry Pier, and was frequented by none other than First Lady Michelle Obama!”
91. St. Ann’s Warehouse (38 Water Street): “Possibly the city’s greatest presenter of cutting-edge theater from around the world, [it] has been home to a large number of outstanding shows over the years.
100. Street Art: "You can find art on streets citywide, but it flourishes in Brooklyn more than any other borough”. Ok, no actual DUMBO mention here but we've got some of the best street art in town, including the Water Street Mural by CAM.
For the full list, read the article here.