Free Events by the Firepit! A Christmas Story + More
DUMBO Firepit is burning bright this week and next, with free happenings for young and old. DUMBO Firepit will be lit weeknights 4pm-8pm and weekends 12pm-5pm. Plus,
- Thursday 12/12: DUMBO Tree Lighting with Santa
- Friday 12/13, Monday 12/16 & Tuesday 12/17: Yule Log 2.0 - graphic designers + animators reinvent a classic
- Wednesday 12/18: A Christmas Story @ 5pm (and again after that). Bigger than you've ever seen it!
- Thursday 12/19: Craft day with Creatively Wild Art Studio 1pm-3pm + fireside chats about BioLite technology + "DUMBO Glow" curated by John Ensor Parker & Leo Keulbs, 4pm-8pm
- Friday 12/20: "DUMBO Glow" curated by John Ensor Parker & Leo Keulbs
About DUMBO Firepit:
Commissioned for the DUMBO Improvement District and built by DUMBO-based startup BioLite as a makers of the popular BioLite Campstove, DUMBO Firepit uses patented thermoelectric technology to convert waste heat into electricity. In the 70+ countries where the BioLite CampStove is sold, this technology provides a new way to reconnect with the outdoors while its larger counterpart, the BioLite HomeStove, provides a cheaper, cleaner alternative to polluting open cooking fires frequently found in emerging markets. In DUMBO, this technology will power lights on the holiday tree.
DUMBO Firepit weighs 500 lbs and can power 400 cell phone chargers. Supported with a grant from the NYC Department of Small Business Services, DUMBO Firepit is part of the DUMBO Improvement District’s “DUMBO Test Kitchen” initiative, which invites local tech companies to pilot innovative ideas for the good of the community. Recent projects include "Big Idea Week" which used curriculum from start up Flocabulary to teach fifth graders about entrepreneurship, and "DUMBO Street Charge" by Pensa, which turned plaza umbrellas into solar-powered cell phone chargers and paved the way for citywide replication via a partnership with AT&T. Test Kitchen projects were called for in the Brooklyn Tech Triangle plan, issued earlier this year.
DUMBO Firepit will operate in the Pearl Street Triangle (Water Street at Pearl Street) from December 12-23. Burning hours are 4-8pm on weekdays and 12-5pm on weekends.