Empire Stores

The monumental Empire Stores date from 1869, with additions by architect Thomas Stone in 1885. The massive red-brick walls feature distinctive round-arch openings and iron shutters, characteristic features of port warehouses of the period. The Brooklyn Bridge Park uses the stabilized walls of a formerly endangered historic building, the Tobacco Warehouse, as an outdoor venue for exhibits and entertainment.