Winter Activities for Kids
With the winter months now in full swing, it’s easy to feel some cabin fever while being cooped up inside. But wait! You don’t need to travel too far to find fun things to do–there are plenty of activities and programs for kids in DUMBO, especially during the winter season. So get out of the house and explore!
- AudraRox Music for Aardvarks and Other Mammals. Classes are held every Wednesday, starting at 9:30am. These classes are fun for the whole family, including a special session for children under 18 months old. AudraRox is also offering a free trial class this Wednesday, January 17, at 9:30, 10:30, and 11:30am. Classes are held at the Powerhouse Arena. Get the details.
- Brooklyn Bridge Park’s Environmental Education Center is a welcoming space where children and families can learn about the ecology, history, and sustainable design of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy. Families can stop by for free drop-in hours during Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday afternoons, or can sign up for special classes offered at the Center. Get the details.
- Creatively Wild offers an incredible range of visual arts, dance and music classes for children, teens, and adults. Develop your creativity, artistic skills, and self-esteem within a fun and supportive environment! Get the details.
- Jane’s Carousel is a fixture on the waterfront, overlooking the Brooklyn Bridge. Originally built in 1922 and recently restored, the Carousel is a fun and historic way to spend an afternoon on a blustery winter day. The Carousel is open from Thursday to Sunday every week. Get the details.
- New York Kids Club. Is opening right here in DUMBO on Feb 5! PLUS check out their complimentary sample classes and grand opening events the week of January 29th. They have a whole slate of classes for all ages, and their winter season runs through June 3. Get the details.
- PreSchool of Rock is another excellent organization that offers music education for young children. Classes feature the use of culturally diverse instruments, hip music, and an innovative curriculum. Classes run for 10 weeks throughout the winter, on Monday and Tuesday mornings, and are held at the Creatively Wild Art Studio. Get the details.
- Recess DUMBO is a fun and welcoming environment for children to learn and play. Recess offers drop-in playtime hours, but also offers innovative classes in music, acting, arts, and crafts. Recess is also offering special themed classes on some Friday nights, in coordination with holidays and events such as the Olympics. Get the details.
- Spark! is a play space developed with in conjunction with the Brooklyn Children’s Museum. They offer drop-in playtime for children, as well as specially themed arts and crafts lessons held during play time on weekends. In addition, they also offer weekly classes in music, acting, and art. For more information about specific class offerings, Get the details.
Although the weather outside may be frightful, it’s easy to stay warm, active, and creative this winter- and you won’t even have to leave your own neighborhood!