What’s Going Down in DUMBO: 1/10
Here’s a smattering of the events and ideas that DUMBO’s been talking about lately…
- Break out your best Gatsby-esque gear for Vaudeville Night in DUMBO, a Jan 17 fundraiser to benefit local businesses affected by Sandy. Hosted by THINK Conservatory and House of Genius at 68 Jay, the event will feature Jazz-Age sounds from Michael Arenella & His Dreamland Orchestra and a Prohibition-be-damned open bar. Tickets available here.
- Are you an aspiring Zaha Hadid? Renowned furnishings and home accessories tradeshow BKLYN DESIGNS returns to DUMBO this May and invites Kings County designers to show their wares. Application deadline is Jan 11; details here.
- DUMBO is selling out! Two of our favorite cultural destinations – St. Ann’s Warehouse and reRun – posted big weeks, with record crowds for the American premier of Opus No. 7 and screening of Kelly Anderson’s My Brooklyn documentary respectively.
- New York Photo Festival presents an open call for submissions for Devastation, Document, Drive, an exhibition to benefit artist directly affected by Sandy. Select photos will “flood” the Powerhouse Arena from Feb 4 to March 1. Application deadline is Jan 31; details here.
- New scientific research suggests that hot chocolate tastes best out of orange cups. Frankly, we think Jacques Torres‘ libations would taste heavenly in any kind of receptacle.