Thanks to You, We Gave Out $58k in DUMBO Sandy Grants
The DUMBO Improvement District’s fundraising in the weeks following Hurricane Sandy raised a total of $58,000, all of which has been distributed as grants ranging from $1000 – $8500 to 13 physically impacted businesses and art spaces in the neighborhood.
The funds included those raised at the November 14 fundraiser and auction at Galapagos Art Space, a Bower Hill Society fundraiser thanks to the JAR Group, funds donated via our website and from proceeds donated by non-impacted retailers during Small Business Saturday. The funds also include a $10,000 grant from the Brooklyn Recovery Fund (a partnership of the Brooklyn Community Foundation and the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce). Many many thanks to all who participated through donations of auction items, hard work and monetary contributions!
Just before the holidays, the DUMBO BID convened a committee of community members including Andy Hamingson – St. Ann’s Warehouse; Chris Havens – Local Broker; Ella Weiss – Brooklyn Arts Council; Randi Song – DUMBO resident and owner of Half Pint Citizens; and Michael Burke – Brooklyn Community Foundation to award DUMBO recovery grants to the businesses and art spaces who suffered physical damages from the storm. Grants were distributed based on physical damages to all 13 businesses and arts spaces who applied, ranging from $1,000 to $8,500.
Grantees include: Smack Mellon; Galapagos Art Space; Governor; Almondine, 66 Water Street; One Girl Cookies; Punto Bianco; White Wave; Brooklyn Roasting Company; PowerHouse Arena; Aegir Board Works; Creatively Wild Art Studio and Rabbit Movers.
Once again, we want to mention our amazing supporters:
- Frameworks New York for framing all of our auction art in one week!!
- BP Marty Markowitz, Tom Fruin, Chad Dickerson and Jessi Arrington for letting us auction off their free time!
- DUMBO Kitchen, Front Street Pizza and One Girl Cookies for delicious food, Ito En for supplying their tasty tea, & Brooklyn Roasting for even more delicious beer!
- The JAR Group and Owney’s Rum for throwing another fundraiser to raise even more $ for the fund on Tuesday!
- Blanc and Rouge for a very generous donation of wine, liquor, gift certificates, and a private wine tasting!
- Jane’s Carousel and Jane Walentas for opening up for a wonderful private party!
- In addition we would like to thank Two Trees, Kristen Taylor, Erin Rachel Hudak, Etienne Frossard, Eric Lo Presti, Robert Banat, Cheryl Molnar, Smack Mellon, David Ellis, Jane Kratochvil, NYC Massage, Sesame Letterpress, Kiai Kim, Floto Imports, Haptic Lab, Dewey’s Candy, Time Out, West Elm, St. Ann’s Warehouse, Gran Electrica, Governor, Colonie, Alexis Bittar, NOS, Jen Ferguson, Digital DUMBO, Aegir Boardworks, Kunsthalle Galapagos, and Galapagos Art Space.
- And of course, the more than 400 DUMBO Fans, Enthusiasts, Diehards and Lovebags that attended and bid heftily on our auction items.
Please continue to support the affected DUMBO retailers by contributing to their fundraising (links can be found here) or just stopping in and supporting these small businesses.