DUMBO Does Austin
SXSW promises to showcase some of the most innovative and promising talents in the digital and creative communities, while giving participants the chance to enjoy some time away from Brooklyn and into Texas.
“The Brooklyn United team is evenly divided on the tacos vs BBQ question, but we’re all excited to connect with other leaders in interactive design and development,” says Brian Lemond, Creative Director of Brooklyn Digital Foundry.
Here, our picks for events with DUMBO gamechangers for select events:
- Of course! Tina Roth Eisenberg, a.k.a. swissmiss, will deliver the keynote address for SXSW Interactive. She is known for her graphic design blog and continues to gain appreciation for her style and work through Creative Mornings, Tattly, and Studiomates. She has been recognized by The Times as one of the world’s Top 50 design blogs. The keynote address will take place on Sunday, March 10 at 2 pm. Follow her on twitter: @swissmiss
- Bre Pettis, the CEO of MakerBot from nearby Downtown Brooklyn, will deliver the Opening Remarks for SXSW Interactive. Pettis is considered one of the driving forces behind the 3D printing revolution and a DIY-enthusiast himself. He has spoken about the importance of empowering students to solve the future’s problems and continues to work to bring 3D printing technology to everyday consumers. The opening remarks will take place on Friday, March 8. Follow him on twitter: @bre
- HUGE will be in town all week at the Midnight Cowboy on 6th Street. If you’re from DUMBO, stop in and say hi – especially to these fine fellow participants. They’ll be running a free web development training program for 30 lucky coders (sorry all booked up). And some Togather events that you can still RSVP to here.
- Lawyered: Lessons from Foursquare, Meetup, and Etsy discuss the legal and business challenges that tech companies may face and offer advice on how to navigate some of these issues. Featuring: Brian Chase, General Counsel at Foursquare Labs; David Pashman, General Counsel at Meetup; Sarah Feingold, Counsel at Etsy; @SarahFeingold.
- Can You Hack It? Great Ideas in 24 Hours or Less. This discussion tackles the change from a fear of hackers to empowering them like never before. Presented by GOOD co-founder Casey Caplowe and Big Spaceship Director of Strategy Joshua Teixeira, they will cover their successes, failures, and lessons learned.
- Sherpaa – an awesome new 10 Jay Startup is touting their healthcare solution
at AMOA (the Austin Museum of Art) which will showcase NYC-based artists, as well as 40+ members of the NY start up community, along with some larger, multi-national companies (Microsoft, etc.) Dr. Jay Parkinson will be doing complimentary health screenings. This will include cholesterol tests, glucose tests, weight, body mass, etc. They’ll also be distributing condoms to local Austin bars, because health is health people!
- CutandPaste is having a Design Throw Down on March 10 with Media Sponsor Digital DUMBO. RSVP here.
- Brian Donohue of EchoLocation (an app that helps you find out what is happening around you) based out of the NYU Poly Incubator. He’ll be handing out free bottles of water to support a charity mycharitywater.org. “Did you know that every day 5,000 kids die from water-related illnesses before they reach their fifth birthday? This year we are helping the SXSW community provide clean water for a community half a World away!”
- And say hi to the rest of the NYC contingent at NYTM: NY Tech Meetup and American Express are bringing together thinkers and doers for a unique #FEED event on Saturday, March 9th. Although both NY Tech Meetup and American Express are New York home-grown, the partners hope to extend the resources and support systems they’ve found in their city to entrepreneurs, advocates, influencers and business leaders beyond the 5 Boroughs.
Got a SXSW event or talk you want us to promote? Email Juliana@dumbonyc.org.