Art + Culture
Calling All Artists: Open Call for New DUMBO Mural
We’re working with ArtBridge to bring a new mural to the neighborhood at 5 Front Street (on the side of Gran Electrica, just north of the throngs in line for Grimaldi’s Pizza). For the work, ArtBridge has issued an open call, looking for artists who can “at once visually communicate the quirky, contemporary climate of DUMBO while paying homage to its history and situation as a Historic Landmark District.”
DUMBO is marked by the convergence of new and old; many of the original buildings that were built to be centers of industrial production remain, but were repurposed for residential occupation, artists studios and small businesses. 5 Front Street is no exception, as it was built in 1834–plans for the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge were discussed there. Its exterior has been largely unchanged, until now.
Drawing upon 5 Front’s history, we’re looking for artists who are able to at once visually communicate the quirky, contemporary climate of DUMBO while paying homage to its history and situation as a Historic Landmark District. When drafting the proposal, artists must give special consideration to the colors and forms of the surrounding architecture and neighborhood.
Here are the rules from ArtBridge:
Proposals that include text will not be considered.
ArtBridge will provide an honorarium to the selected artist and all materials will be generously provided by Liquitex.
Artists from all 5 boroughs are encouraged to submit.
- This call is open to artists or team of artists who either live or work in NYC. Artists with solo gallery representation, are kindly asked not to apply.
- A narrative and design illustrating the concept is required for each submission.
- Include supplemental information such as medium, timeline for completion, and approximate dimensions of the proposed mural.
- All components must be in digital format: either completed with digital media or drawn by hand and scanned.
- Follow the link to view a drawing of measurements for submission renderings (which may be completed with digital media or by hand and scanned)
- Supporting materials, including images and/or reviews of previously completed works, are required. Examples should describe size, materials, cost, and location of other public works.