Business + Services
Holiday Shopping: Your 2016 Gift Guide
Working through your list of gifts? Carry the spirit of Small Business Saturday throughout December by shopping locally this holiday season. Whether you’re on the hunt for a loved one or yourself (we’ll never tell!) DUMBO’s 100+ retailers have a great selection of goods that fit a range of budgets and aesthetics.
A handful of picks to jumpstart your neighborhood shopping is below. Most locations accept the #DUMBOVIP Card!
Happy holidays and happy shopping!
- Trunk: Rosemary Avocado Shampoo Bar. With a rich lather and its sweet, herbal scent, this soap will nourish your hair (and body!) Bottleless gives it a smaller carbon footprint. Made with love upstate New York. $12.
- Trunk: Bowery Soy Candle. Exotic and seductive, with intoxicating notes of sage, lavender, jasmine, musk and amber. Hand poured in New York City. $28.
- West Elm: Stone Octagonal Coasters. Whether a cocktail party or casual dinner, these Stone Coasters keep your surfaces protected in natural style. $24.
- Public Supply: Limited Edition Edward Granger notebook. For when inspiration strikes! $20.
- Jane’s Carousel: 12 pack of tickets. Round and round you go! $20.
- Jane’s Carousel: Tote bag. Carry your things in style. $20.
For the Sweet Tooth
- Mouth: Holidaylicious Sweets. If you’ve got a sweets freak in your life, this makes for a pretty, ahem, sweet gift. $83.
- Jacques Torres: Santa Bear. These cuties are available in milk and dark Chocolate. $12.
- One Girl Cookies: The Cookbook. 67 recipes and 50 color photos for everything from classics at the café to some family favorites to breakfast sweets. $22.50.
- Brooklyn Roasting: Holiday Sampler. Seven tins of coffee, including Mocha Java, Peru, Ethiopian Washed, Sumatra Permato Gayo, Iris Espresso and Brazil. $75.
- Usagi: Fruition Chocolate Bar. This award-winning bar is made by an ethical small batch chocolatier located in upstate New York. $12.
- Redbeard Bikes: Spurcycle Bell. The best little bell in the world, fits all bikes & lasts forever! Made in America. $48.
- Modern Anthology: Pewter Pocket Flask. Drink up, long live Caesar, and god bless you, Mr. Wentworth. $78.
- NOS: His and Hers St. Mawes Classic Watches. A timepiece that proves that perfection in engineering not only is a possibility, but a reality. $199-299.
- NOS: Fitzroy Sunglasses. Handcrafted in Italy with the highest quality materials. $159.
- NOS: Metro Tote. Perfectly sized for days you don’t need to carry it all, with a unique construction that makes it foldable, rollable, packable, even crushable-without losing its shape. $215.
- NOS: Metro Backpack. Lightweight, spacious backpack is perfect for everything, from gym or baby bag to travel companion. $245.
- Brooklyn Industries: Arced BK Hoodies. Signature Brooklyn hoodie gets bent out of shape on this new favorite. $78.
- Brooklyn Industries:BK Phones Men’s Graphic T-shirt. Brooklyn and Music go hand in hand on this Eco-friendly Men’s T-shirt. $36.
- Brooklyn Industries: Jamal Bilfold Wallet. A slim, stylish, and practical classic billfold Wallet finished with their Watertower insignia. $32.
- Modern Anthology: Silver Tip Badger Shave Brush. The essential tool to achieve a great shave and a pre-shave tool that helps to lift facial hair, and create lather. $95.
- Brooklyn Industries: BK Applique Women’s Hoodie. A Brooklyn Industries classic. $78.
- Brooklyn Industries: Sleep Number Women’s Graphic T-shirt. This stylish graphic on a boyfriend cut t-shirt is classically cool. $34.
- Baci: Cozy Batwing Sweater. Italian style for your favorite lady. $40.
- Trunk: Frida’s Got a Gun Tee. A standard-bearer of art, love, and feminism, Frida’s strength and self-expression make her an icon to this day. Screen printed in Brooklyn. $42.
- Ad Astra: Winter Holiday Gift Box. Unique gift set includes a reindeer charm necklace, genuine Austrian crystal studs in holiday red, and Vanilla & Myrrh Apothecary travel candle. $55.
- Mel en Stel: Olivia Shoulder Wrap. Super soft cashmere wool, lined with striped wool blend. Made in NJ. $125.
- Trunk: Donut Earrings. Add some sparkle to your holiday outfit with these hand crocheted wire earrings. $78.
For the Kiddos
- Powerhouse: The Bunny Burrow Buyer’s Book: A Tale of Rabbit Real Estate. This saga of a swiftly increasing family of rabbits in search of a new place to call their own, rendered in exquisitely detailed artwork featuring cut-outs and gatefolds, is a perfect book for small children whose families are moving to a new home. $13.97.
- Powerhouse: Robot Lost His Head: Counting with Robots. Robots are perennial kid-favorites. In this series, acclaimed illustrator Marc Rosenthal’s vividly colored, retro-futuristic robots encourage kids age 2 to 5 to lift the flaps and learn all about basic concepts. $12.57.
- Half Pint Citizens: Poppet the Plush Penguin. Unlike the penguins who live in Antarctica, Poppet Penguin’s surprisingly warm! This bright little buddy is a champion swimmer, and loves to slide across the snow on his tummy! $15.
- Brooklyn Industries: Sleep Number Infant Onesie. Best-selling graphic is now available on an Organic Infant Onesie. $25.
- Brooklyn Industries: Furrious Youth T-shirt. A trippy take on a furry friend, on our Organic Cotton Youth-sized t-shirt. $28.
- Egg: Playforever Maverick Heat. Straight out of 1960s, Maverick Heat vehicles are a hip, cool, statement piece that take us back to the days of cop shows and the streets of New York. $55.
- Half Pint Citizens: Deluxe Maxi Scooter. The Deluxe Maxi by Micro has the smoothest, quietest ride available thanks to high quality polyurethane wheels and a flexible fiberglass reinforced deck, which together absorb bumps in the sidewalk. Multiple colors. $139.99.
- Two Kids and a Dog: Brooklyn Bridge Onesie. 100 % cotton, super soft & perfect for infants. $29.
- Jane’s Carousel: Infant, toddler and children’s T shirts. Available in many fun colors! $18.
- Jane’s Carousel: Children’s Reader. Share the story of this historic carousel with this beautiful children’s book. $10.
- AHA Front: Limited Edition WWII Jerry Can Bar Cabinet by Danish Fuel. A recycled, powder-coated WWII Jerry Can hides a bar cabinet, with beautiful plywood shelves and mirrored bottom. $900.
- AHA Front: Hand-Blown Universal Glasses (Set of Six) by Zalto. The ultimate wine glasses prized by master sommeliers. $354.
- BLACKBARN: Winebreather Deluxe by Menu. Decanting wine isn’t only for fancy restaurants. $79.95.
- West Elm: Petrified Cheese Board Plate. Made from petrified wood that’s been cut and polished by hand. $79.
- BLACKBARN: Red Moroccan Platter. This ceramic platter was hand crafted and painted by Moroccan artisans and can be used for either serving or display. $105.
- Usagi: Tableware by Kihara. This Japanese company mixes traditional techniques that have remained unchanged for 400 year mixed with modern ones like 3D shape designing & machining in porcelain. $30-80.
- Usagi: Wood Tableware by Takahashi Kougei. The simple and functional tableware made with wood sustainably harvested in the mountains of Hokkaido, Japan. $various.
- BLACKBARN: Pair of Bottle Grinders by Menu. Form meets function in this beautiful set of bottle grinders designed by Norm Architects for Menu. $69.95.
- Mouth: Holiday Punch Kit. Nothing says “holiday” like getting punch-drunk with your favorite elves. $111.50.
For the Home
- Rococo Design: Pillow Throw Combo. Made from Mongolian lambs wool. $89.99.
- Mark Jupiter: Black Walnut Dresser. Constructed from solid Black Walnut, this dresser is a stylish storage solution for any room. Approximate 73” L x 22” W x 36” OAH (Available in custom sizes with multiple finishes and species.) $9,750.
- AHA Front: Smart Alarm Clock Speaker by Beddi. Plug in your phone to charge, drift asleep to soothing white noise, and wake up with a light that stimulates sunrise. You can even receive weather and traffic reports and integrate it with other smart home devices. $100.
- Usagi: Hōnō Light by Metaphys. This futuristic lamp by award-winning design company based in Osaka, Japan acts like a real candle by flickering in the wind, and automatically turns off when you blow on it. $125.
- BioLite: BaseLantern. Meet the world’s first flatpack lantern that combines breakthrough edge-lighting with Bluetooth connectivity to bring you a portable lighting solution that doubles as your own miniature smartgrid. No bigger than a sandwich, the BaseLantern can light large group settings, charge phones and other devices, and offer real time battery feedback so you get the most from your off-grid energy. $99.95.
- BLACKBARN: Small Handwoven African Painted Basket. This basket, available in white or black, was handwoven in South Africa by the Cape Town Society for the Blind. $60.
- Usagi: Bathroom accessories by Soil. Combining Japan’s love of minimalist design and bathing culture, the Keisodo Soil Bath Mat is made from naturally absorbent diatomaceous earth. $140-200.
- Usagi: Throws by Glitch Textiles. Textiles woven sustainably from organic cotton based on patterns created through intentionally corruption and manipulation of digital files. Made in Brooklyn and Netherlands. $225.
- BoConcept: Sheepskin throw. Boconcept’s sheepskins are made in Poland. The long-haired sheepskins are versatile and soft, and come in several colors. $139.
- West Elm: Hometown City Pillow Covers. Printed to order, these cotton canvas pillow covers put your hometown pride on full display. $29.
For the Art Lover
- Limited edition Tom Fruin Watertower. A classic piece of DUMBO, in model kit form. Only 150 pieces made, each signed by Tom himself! $79.99.
- Creativebloch: Basquiat comes to Brooklyn. An original drawing in Basquiat’s style featuring various Brooklyn Neighborhoods. $225.
- St. Ann’s Warehouse: Annual Membership. Get the best seats ahead of the crowd, waived service fees, free exchanges, and more! $65 – $500.
- Janet Borden Gallery: Martin Parr: REAL FOOD. Real Food celebrates all things food through the eyes of the renowned British photographer Martin Parr. Signed copies available. $24.95.
- Klompching Gallery: Herero Woman in Yellow Dress by Jim Naugthen (2012). 11″ x 14″ Archival Pigment Print. $225 through December.
- Natchie: DUMBO Print. Show off your DUMBO pride with Natchie’s best selling print. Prints start at $20.
- BLACKBARN: Year Zero Diorama by Christopher Tennant. Illuminated diorama from Christopher Tennant Drones series, inspired by the golden age of Victorian taxidermy. $2,200.
For the Bookworm
- Powerhouse: The Artists’ and Writers’ Cookbook. A collection of personal, food-related stories with recipes from 76 contemporary artists and writers. $30.
- Melville House: The Last Interview Set. With seventeen seminal individuals, including Jane Jacobs, Nora Ephron, and James Baldwin. $218.
- Melville House: Melville International Crime Series Book Bundle. 10 paperback books to keep you on the edge of your armchair/subway seat/etc. $120.
- Melville House: Bartelby Mug. Black ceramic mugs sporting the phrase that made Bartleby the Scrivener famous. $20.
For the Fitness Buff
- Gleasons Gym: One month membership. Get a taste of North America’s oldest boxing gym, in its brand new spot! $99.
- The Lab: Holiday Package. 1 Month unlimited cardio/strength circuit usage + 3 private sessions in PT, Pilates, Yoga (or all) + 5 world class group fitness classes. Package is good for one entire year from date of the first use of each service. $270.
- IMAXShift: SHIFT 6 class pack. Spin to the next level. $150
- Abhaya Yoga: 10 Class Card. What better way to keep to those new years resolutions? $185.
- Yoga Vida: Gift Card. Treat your friend, family member or yourself to the gift of yoga this holiday season with a gift card for Yoga Vida. $various.
Featured Image: Surprise by Flickr User Thomas Hawk.