Business + Services
Holiday Shopping: Your 2015 Gift Guide
DUMBO Dollars burning a hole in your pocket? Working through your list of gifts? Carry the spirit of Small Business Saturday throughout December by shopping locally this holiday season. Whether you’re on the hunt for a loved one or yourself (we’ll never tell!) DUMBO’s 100+ retailers have a great selection of goods that fit a range of budgets and aesthetics.
A handful of picks to jumpstart your neighborhood shopping is below. Most locations accept the #DUMBOVIP Card. And don’t forget, Thursdays through the holidays retail in DUMBO is open until 9pm for DUMBO After Hours!
Happy holidays and happy shopping!
- Emerald Gem Exchange: Gemstone spheres on rose wood stands. Assorted gemstones. $15.
- Half Pint Citizens: Small Bashful Lamb. Super soft and sized at 7″ for little hands to hold on and never let go. $16.
- Trunk: Grapefruit Mint Bar Soap Meow Meow Tweet. A grapefruit scented soap with a hint of peppermint and mint leaves; made in Brooklyn. $10.
- P.S. Bookshop: Brooklyn Art Calendar. 12 original images inspired by Brooklyn’s landmarks local color; beautifully printed on quality recycled paper. $15.95.
- West Elm Market: Harlem Soap Company Soap Bar. Harlem Soap is an All natural cold-process Goats milk bar soap brand based in Harlem, New York. All Harlem Soap ingredients come from sustainable companies located in the USA. Their soaps are handmade in batches of 180 bars to ensure quality. $6.
- Journey: Pebble Placemats. An original Chilewich molded design, was inspired by the organic shapes of stones on a beach. Available in Brass, Gunmetal & Black. $10.
- Melville House: Gift edition of the U.S. Supreme Court Decision on Marriage Equality. A beautifully packaged gift edition of Obergefell et al. v. Hodges, Justice Anthony Kennedy’s landmark Supreme Court decision on marriage equality. Book is 20% off the listed price if you buy it from Melville House, either in store or online. $11.95.
- Mouth: Holidaylicious Sweets. If you’ve got a sweets freak in your life, who obsesses over festive sugar candies, rich chocolate treats, tender cookies and chewy caramels year-round, this makes for a pretty, ahem, sweet gift. $83.
- Jacques Torres: Classic Hot Chocolate. Make the world’s best hot chocolate–at home! $18.
- Brooklyn Roasting: Holiday Sampler. Seven tins of coffee, including Mocha Java, Peru, Ethiopian Washed,Sumatra Permato Gayo, Iris Espresso and Brazil. $75.
- Mouth: Holiday Cocktail Trio. This gift-worthy trio of festive bottled, ready-to-drink cocktails from the acclaimed indie distillers at Fluid Dynamics are like having a fancy cocktail bartender around, any time, any place. $88.
- One Girl Cookies: The Cookbook. 67 recipes and 50 color photos for everything from classics at the café to some family favorites to breakfast sweets. $22.50.
- Redbeard Bikes: Spurcycle Bell. The best little bell in the world, fits all bikes & lasts forever! Made in America. $48.
- Modern Anthology: Pewter Pocket Flask. Drink up, long live Caesar, and god bless you, Mr. Wentworth. $78.
- Mel en Stel: Fingerless Wool Gloves. Keep warm and text well. $79.
- Evhonnae: Alex + Ani Initial Charm Bracelets. The expandable Alex + Ani bracelet, with a signature initial etched on a vintage-inspired charm, is the perfect personalized addition to your wrist candy. It’s also a no brainer gift for someone you love. $28.
- Trunk: Small Zip Pouch in honey by Marketta New York. Simple, useful and fashionable, the leather is beautifully soft and supple and only improves with age. $48.
For the Kiddos
- Egg: Boatneck Jersey Dress. Comfy and trendy with a beautiful, glittery star print. $55.
- Egg: Fox Crewneck Sweater. Egg’s best-selling sweater for boys! $70.
- Half Pint Citizens: Brooklyn Script Long-sleeved Onesie. Your Brooklyn baby will look adorable in this onesie! $29.
- Two Kids and a Dog: Ride on Race Car. Ride in style in this vintage, life-sized car. $199.
- Modern Anthology: Odd Galaxy Cosmo Kid Blocks. Get ready to blast off with the Odd Galaxy space collection. Featuring rounded shapes and classic blocks, Odd Galaxy inspires endless possibilities of stacking, building, and creating your own space galaxy. $29.
- Half Pint Citizens: Deluxe Railway Set. An action-packed setting including passenger trains, freight trains, harbour scenes and metro fun, complete with stations, cranes, bridges & figures. $300.
For the Home
- Journey: Leather Catch All. Stow your treasures, trinkets and whatnots with organizational panache in these stylish leather containers; handmade in the USA. Small $49.
- Trunk: Artisan candles by JG & Co. All candles are eco-consciously handcrafted by expert artisans right here in NYC. $20.
- Biolite: Limited Edition CampStove: Carbon. BioLite has gone carbon neutral and we’ve got a stove to celebrate. We’ve released a limited edition run of the award-winning BioLite CampStove. 1000 all-black stoves have been produced, each stamped with a unique ID number in the series. Now through 12/11, every dollar spent at BioLite goes directly to helping us build sustainable solutions for families living in energy poverty. Learn more at getsootdone.com. $129.95.
- Sinotique: Antique Chinese Shanxi Chest. A 19th Century treasure. $280.
- BoConcept: Xtra Footstool with Sleeping Function. Get ready for guests with this compact ottoman that magically unfolds into a twin sized bed. On sale for $299 through December 25, plus 10% off on any cover.
For the Art Lover
- A.I.R. Gallery: Patch by Erica Stoller (2015). Various materials, plastic tubing, foam pipe insulation, string, nylon screening, metal clips, masking tape. $1,200.
- This Friday or Next Friday. Seahorse by Zach Seeger (2015). Carved, painted wood, 32″ x 22″ x 6″. Part of a series of painted wood carvings titled The Emerald City. $3,500.
- United Photo Industries: Menace by Nadine Boughton (2012). Prints start at $1,500. 10% off for DUMBO residents & workforce through 1/10/2016.
- Klompching Gallery: Herero Woman in Yellow Dress by Jim Naugthen (2012). Signed Special Edition; 11″ x 14″ Archival Pigment Print. $300.
- Creative Bloch: The Brooklyn Bridge. 16×20″ framed acrylic painting. $500.
- Masters Projects: Firenze Via Via by Massimo Vitali (2006). Offset Lithography from the series Landscapes With Figures. $4,500.
- Natchie: DUMBO Print. Show off your DUMBO pride with Natchie’s best selling print. Prints start at $20.
- St. Ann’s Warehouse: Annual Membership. Get the best seats ahead of the crowd, waived service fees, free exchanges, and more! $65 – $500.
Featured Image: Surprise by Flickr User Thomas Hawk.